History | Christian Council of Ghana

The Christian Council of Ghana (CCG) was founded on 30th October 1929 by five churches namely African Methodist Episcopal (AME), Zion Church, English Church Mission (Anglican), Ewe Presbyterian Church (now Evangelical Presbyterian Church); Presbyterian Church of the Gold Coast (now Ghana) and Wesleyan Methodist Church (now the Methodist Church Ghana).

The purpose was the search for unity and to work with members on issues of social concern and be the voice of the voiceless in society. Currently the CCG comprises twenty six member churches and three Christian Organizations.

The CCG has over the years gone through a series of restructuring and renewal processes in a bid to develop a relevant, efficient and effective organisation that is pro-active and responsive to challenges facing the member churches. In the search for relevance and common witness, the determining factors have been global and national macro socio - economic and political trends such as political governance ranging from military rule to multi-party democracy.

Given rapidly changing social development theory, practice and requirements of development partners and the emphasis on lean and efficient organisations to deliver services, the Council saw the need for an in - depth Organisational Assessment which unlike project evaluations has not been conducted in the recent past.

Hence the purpose of the assessment is “To enable the CCG to become a more effective and relevant faith-based organization, in terms of fulfilling its mission and responding to the changing development context”.

The methodology used in this study was participatory in nature using OD tools besides structured questionnaire, focus group discussions and individual interviews applying guiding questions. Validations and debriefing sessions were conducted for staff, Senior Management Team, General Secretary (GS), Chairpersons of the Advisory Committees and the CCG Chairman.